Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wide Open Skies

"It is almost impossible to watch a sunset and not dream." ~ Bern Williams

The Big Sky State 
Somewhere along the line, Montana gained the slogan, The Big Sky State and Texas became The Lone Star State (a reminder that we Texans can secede whenever we want). Now, I don't have anything against Montana. And from what I've seen, it has some pretty big skies.

But the big sky of Texas is one of my favorite things about The Lone Star State. Perhaps it's not quite as expansive, the horizon not quite so limitless, as in Montana. But the colors that light up the Texas sky are unparalleled.

Sunrise, Sunset
Some evenings the sky is littered with powdery clouds, dusted a soft rose. Other nights the sun sinks below the horizon in a blaze of fiery oranges and yellows. Still other times twilight deepens into night with deep purples and navy blues. As cliché as the vibrance of a sunset may be, I nevertheless am always moved by it.

My friends and family all know how much I love looking at the sky. I always point it out and alert whoever is with me to my awe. I have done this so frequently that whenever my brother sees a particularly stunning sunset, he immediately texts me and tells to head outside and look up. I've found a spot near my house, just along the road, where a gap between the houses allows me a view of the sunset.
The sunrise from my front yard
Here, it's possible to look up into the sky. A friend from the East coast once told me how exposed he felt here. Without trees crowding around, pressing in and obscuring the sky, he felt vulnerable.

I feel free.

The Stars at Night are Big and Bright ... Deep in the Heart of Texas
Even in the city, or at least my city of 115,000, the stars are bright. The skies are clear, free of haze or smog or tree tops. On cloudless nights, it is easy to spot Ursa Major or Orion the hunter as he prowls through the night. Just a ten minute drive takes one away from the lights of the city and the hazy strip of the Milky Way is visible.

Photo not by me
Each August the Perseids meteor shower peaks in a shower of shooting stars. At its peak in 2010, over one hundred meteors could be seen each hour. The Perseids shower appears to emanate from the Perseus constellation, hence its name. Each year the earth passes through the debris of the Swift-Tuttle comet. As the debris passes through the atmosphere it burns, creating the meteor shower.

Last year my family drove just outside the city limits to watch the stars fall around us. We laid out in the bed of our pickup and I pillowed my hands behind my head. Crickets chirped and the cool breeze of a summer night whispered around us. The moon was dark that night, the earth between it and the Sun. With each meteor that streaked through the sky, my breath caught. No wonder the ancients thought meteors were from the gods.

The Wild Texas Skies
If you have the chance to watch meteors blaze across the Texas skies, take it. If the opportunity arises for you to watch the sun illuminate the Texas horizon as night falls, don't let it pass you by. And if you are able, take the time to watch the clouds assemble above to form a Texas thunderstorm.

Because the Texas skies are beautiful, wild and free and breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment